Thursday, May 19, 2011

On Zora Neale Hurston

It's a sad but true fact that many people don't get their hands on a novel until well after the author has passed. In this case I refer to Zora Neale Hurston who in 1937 wrote, Their Eyes Were Watching God. Her life spanned from 1891-1960.
I was recently given this novel to read because my friend was sure that I would like it. Boy, was she ever right. But liking it falls vastly short of how endearing, enriching and enchanting this story is. Not only do I feel like I'm living where the story is being told, but I also marvel at the literary contribution of this author and find myself re-reading passages because I'm struck by the depth of meaning and elegant way in which her words were chosen to make her point.

Zora Neale Hurston is author to 7 other novels, 2 books of short stories, a play and 4 children's books. I will be reading more of her work! Perhaps you've read her work? I'd love to read your comments.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the novel, but I do have it. My son read it in high school and liked it so much he bought it. It's sitting on my bookshelf; now it's on my "to read" list for next week. Thank you for the recommendation. I hope you're getting time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have it, Jeanne! Zora Neale Hurston is a literary genius. Thanks for sharing your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Zora Neal Hurston! I just read Their Eyes Were Watching God last year--boy was I late to the party. Nice choice. :)

    ReplyDelete